These Apple Pumpkin Spice Muffins recipes are loaded with apples, scented with warm fall spices, and finished with a delicious crunchy pecan & turbinado sugar topping. Perfect for breakfast.
Servings: 12 muffins | Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 8 tablespoons avocado oil or unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 104g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 51g(1/4 cup) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, buttermilk, or plain regular yogurt (don’t use Greek-style yogurt)
- 130g (1 cup)whole wheat flour, spooned, leveled off, and sifted
- 131g (1 cup) all-purpose flour, spooned, leveled-off and sifted
- 5g 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5g 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups baking apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped or grated (approx. 2 medium apples) combine with the juice from half a lemon to prevent oxidation.
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons toasted pecans, chopped (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, sift together both flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the avocado oil, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar until combined, about 1 minute or until fluffy, about 3 minutes (if you’re using butter). Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the egg and mix well until combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Finally, beat in the sour cream.
Add the flours mixture and beat on low speed until just combined. (The batter will be very thick) Add the chopped apples and fold in until just combined. Do not over mix! Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan. The cups should be full. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top.
Bake, the Apple Pumpkin Spice Muffins for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven, cool them for 5 minutes in the pan, then take them out onto a rack for the Apple Pumpkin spice muffins to finish cooling. Enjoy!