Are you looking for an easy spicy shrimp recipe with an Asian flair to make? Try these delicious Chinese Chili Garlic Shrimp, add to salads, noodle bowls, wraps, or over rice for a delicious meal!😉
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for the Chinese Chili Garlic Shrimp
- 500g raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
For the coating:
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup chili garlic sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1tablespoon Oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mushroom flavored dark soy sauce, dark soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Stir Fry:
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoon ginger, finely grated or minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 green onion, chopped
- 3 dried red chili
Instructions for the Chinese Chili Garlic Shrimp
In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, pepper, garlic, and Shaoxing wine; Set aside. In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients; set aside. In another small bowl, mix to combine the flour and cornstarch.
Heat 3 Tablespoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the raw shrimp in the cornstarch mixture; shake off excess flour. Fry in batches, undisturbed, until golden and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Flip and continue cooking, about 2 to 3 minutes, until golden and crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the oil and put them onto a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Once done cooking the shrimp, wipe off the pan with paper towels to remove any residue. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and heat over medium heat.
Add the dried chili, garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the prepared sauce and cook until the sauce thickens about 1 minute. Return the shrimp to the pan and stir-fry until the sauce glazes the shrimp, about 1 minute more. Remove pan from the heat, stir in chopped green onion, if desired. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Transfer the shrimp with chili garlic sauce to a serving bowl and serve the Chinese Chili Garlic Shrimp with a side of white rice.
- If using frozen shrimp, thaw the shrimp thoroughly before using it.