This creamy, hearty and flavorful Paraguayan Creamy Fish Stew recipe uses the natural starches found in russet potatoes to provide body, while a touch of heavy cream adds a velvety richness! 😋🐟
- 6 Catfish fillets, tilapia, cod, or any firm fish fillets.
- 1 large onion, julienne sliced
- 1 carrot, julienne sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup homemade fish broth, Knorr low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 Poblano pepper or green bell pepper, julienne sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 6 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 russet potatoes, thinly sliced * (about 7 mm to 1 cm)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro or Italian parsley, chopped
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 80 ml of heavy cream or light cream
- 200g mozzarella cheese (cut into little chunks)
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
Instructions for the Creamy Fish Stew
Place the fish fillet on a piece of parchment paper and sprinkle it with the kosher salt and pepper. Drizzle the lemon juice over the top of the fillets and let marinate in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
Remove the fish fillets from the refrigerator and roll up each fillet, beginning at the narrow end and weave a large toothpick to keep the roll closed. Repeat the process until you finished all the fish rolls.
Heat 3 tablespoons extra olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, poblano pepper, carrot, tomatoes, and garlic; season with 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano and bay leaf. Cover and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
Deglaze with white wine. Once evaporated, add chicken stock and potatoes. Bring it to a boil for about 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; nestle the pieces of fish rolls previously seasoned among the vegetables in the pan and stir the Creamy Fish Stew in with the cream.
Heat Creamy Fish Stew until warmed through and fish is opaque throughout about 2 minutes. Scatter chunks of cheese over the stew and sprinkle with chopped green onions and cilantro; cover for about 5 minutes. Remove the toothpick and serve the Creamy Fish Stew as it is or over white rice.
Enjoy our Creamy Fish Stew!
Looking for More Delicious Recipes:
“Verses of the Day”