Today I’m bringing you my recipe for a fairly simple, straightforward, and utterly delicious lentil soup. Perfect cold-weather comfort food for you to try!!!😋🥣
Yield: 10 servings | Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large poblano pepper, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 16 oz dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 400g (14 oz) crushed tomato
- 8 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons Knorr Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon, adjust to your liking
- 1 heaping teaspoon cumin
- 1 heaping teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 dried bay leaves
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Instructions for the Lentil Soup
In a large Dutch oven pot, heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, add celery, onion poblano, and carrot. Cook until softened.
Add the minced garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, then add all remaining ingredients *except the lemon zest, juice, and salt. Stir to combine and increase the heat and bring to boil.
Place the lid on and turn the heat down to medium-low. Simmer the lentil soup for 35 – 40 minutes or until lentils are soft—season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.
Stir in the lemon zest and juice of the lime and garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired, and serve with warm crusty bread. Enjoy our lentil soup!
“Verses of the Day”