These Mini Irish Soda Bread with cranberries are easy to make and require just a few simple ingredients. Made without yeast, this quick bread yields 8 Mini Irish Soda Bread with a perfectly tender crumb and an incredible golden crust. Perfect for breakfast to pair with coffee!
Serves: 8 | Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 150g (1-1/4) cups all-purpose flour spooned into a measuring cup, leveled off, and sifted
- 100g (3/4 cup) whole wheat flour spooned into a measuring cup, leveled off, and sifted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 150 ml (2/3cup) buttermilk or whole plain yogurt
- 50g (3 tablespoons unsalted butter), melted and slightly cooled
- 50ml (about 2 tablespoons) ,optional
- 75g (1/2 cup) dried cranberries currents or raisins
Preheat the oven to 425 °F, and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. In a large bowl, combine both flours, the baking powder, baking soda, and ground allspice, and use a whisk to mix well. In a measuring jug or similar, whisk the buttermilk together with the egg and honey, if using and then whisk in the cooled, melted butter.
Pour the wet ingredients over the bowl of dry ingredients, add the dried cranberries, and mix with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together. Next, turn the sticky dough out onto a floury surface, cut the dough ball in half, and then each half into 4 pieces so that you have 8 pieces in total.
Shape each piece of dough into a rough ball and place it on your lined baking sheet with some space between them. Using a sharp knife, cut a small “X” shape into the top of each one, then sprinkle a whole wheat flour over each soda bread. Bake the Mini Irish Soda Bread for 15 minutes, or until the Mini Irish Soda Bread, is brown and sounds hollow when tapped underneath. Let them cool for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!
These Mini Irish Soda Bread are best eaten on the day they are made. Store leftovers in an airtight container for 1-2 days. Reheat in an oven preheated to 300 °F for 8-10 minutes, or Microwave Mini Irish Soda Bread in the microwave for 5 50 10 seconds or until just hot; do not overheat, or the Mini Irish Soda Bread will get tough.