An easy Two-Layer Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting with its classic autumn flavor. It’s moist, tender, and delicious. Perfect for Thanksgiving feast!
Makes: two (9-inch) cake | Total Time: 1 Hour
For the Pumpkin Cake:
- 285g (2 cups) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons Non-Aluminum baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 3/4 cup avocado oil or 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 214g (1 cup) light brown sugar, packed
- 104g (1/2 cups) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 300 grams (1¼ cups) canned 100% pure pumpkin puree, such as Libby’s brand (from a 425g / 15-ounce can – save the rest for the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting)
- 1 tablespoon Unsulphured molasses, such as Grandma’s
For the Pumpkin Cream Cheese frosting:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature (full fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ -3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 125g Remaining pumpkin puree
For the Pumpkin Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 °F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Spray two 9-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment. Set aside.
In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the avocado oil, sugars, molasses, salt, and vanilla extract on medium speed until just combined. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the pumpkin puree. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and smooth top with a metal spatula. Bake the Pumpkin Cake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Set the cake on a wire rack to cool completely
For the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting:
In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the vanilla extract and remaining pumpkin puree. Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
To Assemble and Decorate the Pumpkin Cake:
Place 4 strips of parchment paper around the edge of the cake stand or plate. Flip the bottom layer of 1 pumpkin cake so that the domed side is facing down and touching the cake stand.
Evenly spread the top with Pumpkin cream cheese frosting. Top with the second pumpkin cake layer. Spread the remaining frosting all over the top and sides. (We recommend an icing spatula to apply the frosting and bench scraper to smooth the sides). Cover and store in the refrigerator; allow the cake to come to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
“Verses of the Day”