Savory Cornbread with Cheese and anise seeds recipe. Looking for side dish recipes to round out your meal? Try this delicious homemade tender, savory cornbread, moist and flavorful cornbread. Serve it as a snack or as an accompaniment with a meal. Best served warm with a light touch of butter.
Total Time: 45 Minutes
How to make Savory Cornbread with Cheese and Anise Seeds
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 1 cup Quaker yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds or freshly chopped thyme
- 1 canned (15.25oz) whole kernel sweet corn
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk or whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cups avocado oil or 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Line with parchment paper a 9-inch glass or metal baking dish or grease with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, anise seeds, and baking powder until well combined. Next, stir in the kernel sweet corn and cheese.
In a small bowl, whisk to combine the beaten egg, salt buttermilk, avocado oil, and sugar. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just combined. Do not over-mix.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon or spatula—Bake the savory cornbread for about 30 minutes, or until puffed and lightly golden. Cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack, then cut the delicious cornbread into pieces and serve warm. Enjoy!